Informational Text + close reading assessment. Questions will be both about understanding the basic process of photosynthesis but there is also a question about the figurative language used within the passage and what the writer’s purpose of the text. (Science and English)
Readability of the informational text:
Flesch-Kincaid Grade Level: 4.8
Automated Readability Index: 3.9
: A cloze activity of the text in the 1st worksheet. Why cloze?
It is used:
- to identify students’ knowledge and understanding of the reading process
- to determine which reading cues readers are effectively using to construct meaning from text
- assess the extent of students’ vocabularies and knowledge of a subject
- encourage students to monitor while reading
- encourage students to think critically and analytically about text and content
: An essay question to challenge student critical thinking skills beyond the basic information of photosynthesis.
: A fun word search puzzle using vocabulary taken from the informational text. Sample words include: chlorophyll, absorb, process, glucose, dioxide
Answer Keys provided